Monday, July 30, 2012

Hill People Gear - Recon Kit Bag

I just received my HPG kit bag. I was debating whether or not to pick it up, but I justified it because I'll be spending a lot of time training around my house, and want to be able to comfortably carry a gun while running. I have the pistol wear 2 for under the t-shirt carry. But quite honestly, I am starting to run out of reasons NOT to be more overt when I run in my neighborhood. I can also carry a bigger gun, and it doesn't sit over my belly, which needs to move for me to breath. The PW-2 will be used for when discretion is more important, like during a race.

Unfortunately, I haven't been for a run with it yet, since I've been at the gym quite a lot. I'll try to make time this week to actually get some miles in it.


It's designed to be worn under a pack, and even docked to a pack in lieu of straps in the front. It's got a rather wide space envelope as a result.


The flat profile does two things. It keeps everything nice and tight against your chest, so it doesn't bounce too much, and it prevents me from putting too much crap in it. If there's space, I'll fill it with stuff. Also, pardon my slouch.


The back mesh is comfy and distributes the load well. You can see the shock cord stabilizer (an add on accessory) at the bottom to prevent it from flopping up and down as you run. 


I wove a punch dagger between the shingle and the bag.... just 'cause.


The drawstroke. I'm not totally stoked about how the bag opens, since you're ripping zippers open 90 degrees from their designed path. We'll see how it holds up. Regardless, you have to get a grip inside the panel where the pistol is held.


You rip it open until it stops. The vertical path stops the horizontal path from opening the whole kit bag like a taco. There is no 'retention' in the bag. The gun just uses gravity to stay put. I plan to carry a J-Frame in it, so hopefully it won't be an issue. There's a strip of vertical velcro that I might be able to use to keep the pistol still if it's a problem. Test runs will help me figure it out.


Avoid flagging yourself when drawing by keeping the angle of the muzzle down, and your off-hand elbow splayed out. I realize this isn't a perfect, efficient, AIWB draw stroke, but sacrifices have to be made.

The press out.


There is a flat admin pouch in front of the pistol pouch. You can see my ITS EDC trauma kit, phone, and keys fit nicely.

Having the mag shingle on there allows me to quickly outfit it for a range session or for teaching. The elastic pouches could also easily be used for snacks, phone, other gear that needs to be on hand.

This is smart kit. I'll make it dirty with  few months worth of use and will report back, or update this.







No comments:

Post a Comment